You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Local man admits tax return fraud
    A Fort Wayne man who admitted making fraudulent tax returns is now facing prison time, a hefty amount of restitution to repay and a closed avenue on a future career.  Kelvin B.
  • Local man admits tax return fraud
    A Fort Wayne man who admitted making fraudulent tax returns is now facing prison time, a hefty amount of restitution to repay and a closed avenue on a future career. Kelvin B.
  • Injuries to infant get 12-year prison term
    Four times he sexually abused other juveniles. He has allegedly killed two cats. On Friday, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison for nearly killing his infant daughter. John A.

3 nabbed in holdup at credit union now face federal counts


Three people arrested after the robbery of a north-side credit union Monday now face federal charges.

According to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Fort Wayne, Trey Jackson, 25, DeAngelo Copeland, 36, and Nicole Andrews, 35, are all charged with the forceful robbery of a credit union insured by the National Credit Union Administration.

Jackson and Copeland are also charged with using a firearm during a violent crime. Andrews is charged with aiding Copeland to prevent his arrest, according to court documents.

The three were arrested Monday after two men robbed the Power 1 Federal Credit Union at 1520 Spy Run Ave. shortly before 9 a.m.

According to court documents, an employee was vacuuming the foyer of the credit union and saw a second employee coming to the door with items in her hand. When the first employee opened the door to help her enter, a man wearing a blue sweatshirt ran toward the second employee, pushing her in the door and to the floor as he entered. A security video showed him carrying a black pistol.

The door to the credit union was locked behind him, according to court documents. The second robber was seen on video trying unsuccessfully to enter the credit union.

While the first robber was inside, an employee, who was bleeding from the nose, sneaked downstairs to leave and call 911. Seeing the second robber outside, she stayed inside and called police.

As police responded to the 911 call, the first robber grabbed money from a teller drawer, took an employee’s car keys and forced the woman to take money from the open bank vault, according to court documents.

Outside the bank, police found someone crouched in some bushes near the intersection. The man fled when police tried to approach him. As officers chased him, they saw the second robber running away.

The man inside the bank was identified as Jackson, and Copeland was outside. As they tried to escape, the keys Jackson took did not fit the vehicle they tried to use, so they fled on foot, according to court documents.

Jackson was apprehended at the scene, with a box of money. Copeland fled and a gray Dodge Durango registered to Andrews was seen driving within the area police were searching. Andrews and Copeland were linked in police databases, and officers went to their home. As they arrived, the Durango approached at high speed. Andrews was driving, and Copeland was in the passenger seat, court documents said.

According to court documents, Jackson and Copeland had been casing the bank for about a week, planning the robbery. Copeland was to have driven the getaway car, court records said.

Andrews, who is Copeland’s wife, told a member of the FBI’s task force that she dropped Copeland and Jackson off at a gas station on Tennessee Avenue a little before 8 a.m.

She then took a child to school and went to the post office, waiting for Copeland to call her and tell her to come get him. Andrews said she told him over the telephone that she could not pick him up because of the police in the area, court records said.

Andrews told police the plan had been to use a car key stolen from a bank employee to get away, according to court documents.

Jackson told police he had been inside the bank and took the money. Copeland denied involvement during his interview with police.