FORT WAYNE – NAACP Fort Wayne/Allen County Branch 3049 has scheduled a news conference at noon Thursday to mobilize the community and act to prevent further gun violence.
The group announced Thursday morning that officials from the NAACP will speak on the steps of the Fort Wayne police headquarters, at Main and Calhoun streets.
It said the press conference will focus on the national and local escalating mortality resulting from guns.
The announcement said that strategies that have been recommended include:
- Making background checks universal.
- Improving state reporting of criminals and the mentally ill.
- Banning assault weapons.
- Capping magazine clip capacity at 10 bullets.
- Purging armor-piercing bullets.
- Funding police officers.
- Strengthening gun tracking.
- Supporting research on gun violence.
- Encouraging mental health providers to get involved.
- Promoting safe gun ownership.
- Funding school counseling.
- Encouraging safe, anti-bullying school environments.
- Recognizing the mental health needs of low-income Americans.
- Contacting your Senator by April 8.