You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Northbound I-69 reopens in DeKalb after crash
    Northbound Interstate 69 in DeKalb County has reopened after a three-car crash closed both lanes this afternoon, Indiana State Police said.
  • Police warn of potential phone scam
    Someone is calling Kendallville residents and telling them they have won money or a new car. Kendallville police say it’s a potential scam.
  • Police try to ID child's shooter
    Fort Wayne police detectives are still trying to piece together who pulled the trigger in a southeast-side drive-by shooting that put a small child in the hospital Saturday night.
File | The Journal Gazette
Montez Antonio Brooks relaxes on the bench in the final minutes of the 2011 championship game.

Ex-Luers star victim of homicide

All-state linebacker, 19, part of 2011 state title team

Marck Vachon (An earlier version of this story and the print edition of The Journal Gazette incorrectly identified this photo.)

Of the three young men shot in Fort Wayne over Easter weekend, the one fatally wounded had been a standout linebacker at Bishop Luers High School.

Montez Antonio Brooks, known as Tez to his friends, earned all-state honors as a senior in 2011 and helped take the Knights to a third straight state championship that year.

"In the football program, he was very coachable. He was a great linebacker," said Steve Keefer, the school's freshman football coach. "He was a big part of our defense."

"It's just tragic when a young man is taken at such an early age," Keefer added.

About 7 p.m. Sunday, someone drove the 19-year-old Brooks to Parkview Hospital at East State Boulevard and Randallia Drive. Suffering from a gunshot wound, Brooks was transferred to Parkview Regional Medical Center, where he died just after 8 p.m., authorities said.

Officer Raquel Foster, a police spokeswoman, said Monday that detectives were early in their investigation and had little information about the shooting, including where it happened. Police were told Brooks was shot near Smith and Oxford streets, but a search of the neighborhood yielded no evidence of a shooting.

Brooks' death was the 14th homicide in the city and Allen County this year, according to the county coroner's office.

Over the weekend, two other men were shot and severely wounded in Fort Wayne, but the violence was not limited to the city. In southwest Allen County, 65-year-old Robert W. Kanyuh was shot Saturday morning during a reported home invasion, and he died that night, the coroner's office said. No arrests have been made in any of the shootings.

On Monday, city police identified the surviving shooting victims as Marck J. Vachon, 22, and Marcus Q. Bibbs, 19. Both are Fort Wayne residents.

Bibbs was shot Saturday afternoon while walking on the sidewalk in the 3300 block of South Hanna Street, near Weisser Park. Investigators believe a man wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt ran from between houses and started firing at Bibbs.

Foster said Bibbs has been cooperative with police but that he could not describe the shooter and does not know why anyone would want to harm him.

Bibbs has been the victim of gun violence before. In July 2012, he and a 17-year-old were badly injured in a shooting at Eden Green Apartments.

As for Vachon, he was wounded early Sunday in the lot of Early Birds Ultralounge, 4201 N. Wells St., as the north-side club was closing. During a fight in the lot, which involved several people, shots erupted. Soon afterward, Vachon arrived at a hospital with a gunshot wound.

Foster said detectives believe Vachon was fighting with a person he had been feuding with. That individual is a person of interest in the investigation, she said.

Off-duty police officers working security at the club had just been made aware of the fight when the shooting happened, Foster said. In the ensuing chaos, the shooter fled the scene.

"We do believe that there were direct eyewitnesses," she said. "And we need them to come forward."

Foster said none of the city shootings appear to be random and that nothing at this point suggests any of them are linked. Motives have not been determined in the shootings of Brooks and Bibbs, she said.