You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Advertisement

Dog's barking helps couple escape from house fire

ELLETTSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A southern Indiana couple says their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a backyard grill.

The couple says their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday afternoon just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the canine.

The home's owner, Lou Shelton, tells The Herald-Times the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill.

Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis says the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home. He says the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.

Advertisement