You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.
  • Office supplier denies bias suit
    In court documents filed Friday, a local office machine company denied the allegations of discrimination lodged against it. In September, the U.S.
  • Local man admits guilt in kidnapping attempt
    A 48-year-old Fort Wayne man pleaded guilty Friday to attempted kidnapping and other charges, admitting to firing a gun at his ex-girlfriend. Michael M.

Guilty plea in deputy’s shooting

Accomplice admits role in 2011 Waterloo murder try


A woman admitted her role in the December 2011 shooting of Waterloo’s deputy marshal Friday.

Julie Marie King, 34, pleaded guilty to a single charge of aiding in attempted murder, one of three charges she faced in the Dec. 15, 2011, shooting of Deputy Marshal Stephen Brady. She was also charged with felony murder and conspiracy to commit murder, according to DeKalb Superior Court documents.

King and her boyfriend, Ralph Hardiek, were shot by police while hiding under a porch in Waterloo after Hardiek shot Brady in the face. Critically injured, King survived, but Hardiek, 41, was killed.

A plea agreement calls for a maximum sentence of 38 years in prison. Judge Monte Brown is scheduled to sentence King on May 6.

Early in the morning of Dec. 15, 2011, the couple knocked on the door of a woman’s home in Waterloo, asking for help in getting their car freed from the mud. The woman declined to help them but later told Brady at a nearby gas station that she had been approached, and the veteran officer went to look for the couple.

He found them near Railroad and Center streets. As he asked King for her identification, Hardiek shot him in the face, police said.

Another officer found Brady, and multiple officers responded to the area looking for Hardiek and King. They were found huddled together under a porch. Police said Hardiek brandished a handgun at officers, and police fired into the area under the porch.

The couple were reportedly looking for money to get to Utah so Hardiek could avoid prison time. He skipped a sentencing hearing a few days earlier in Noble County on a charge of dealing methamphetamine. Hardiek was to have gone to prison for about six years, according to the terms of his plea agreement.

According to court documents, King was charged with felony murder – participating in a crime in which Hardiek was killed.

A robbery cited by prosecutors in their decision to charge King with felony murder occurred in Coldwater, Mich., about 10 hours before Hardiek was killed, according to court documents.

Brady survived the ordeal and was able to help investigators.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.