FORT WAYNE – Despite a nearby fire Tuesday morning, Piere’s will be open for its scheduled Drowning Pool concert Thursday, according to both city officials and the nightclub’s Twitter page.
A fire destroyed three businesses in the Marketplace of Canterbury early Tuesday, and caused some damage to Club V, one of the bars that is part the Piere’s Entertainment Center.
Later in the afternoon, firefighters were still on the scene along with a remodeling company, sifting through the wreckage and waste that was once a Cap n’ Cork liquor store, Mitchell’s Sports Bar & Grill and a hair salon.
No cause has been determined yet, according to Fort Wayne Fire Chief Amy Biggs.
A preliminary investigation found that the fire might have begun in the kitchen of Mitchell’s, but Biggs said any final determination about where the fire started and what caused it is “up in the air.”
The fire was reported by employees of a nearby nursing home and a Dunkin Donuts who saw fire coming from the roof of the Cap n’ Cork about 5:08 a.m.
No injuries were reported.
For more on this story, visit www.journalgazette.net later today or see Wednesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette.