Tony Mitchell after win

Mad Ants forward Tony Mitchell sits inside the locker room and talks about the Ants' 119-110 double-overtime victory over Springfield on Friday at Memorial Coliseum. Mitchell scored 16 of his 23 points in the two overtimes.

You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Mad Ants NBADL

  • Whistle in final second grates on Mad Ants
      except the 15 or so players and coaches with the Maine Red Claws – wanted to hear Sunday.
  • Skyforce crashes Mad Ants’ party
      Learning how to close out games successfully can take some time – especially for the Mad Ants, a team that's composed of almost an entirely new cast of players – and Fort Wayne came out of its season-opening 77-70 loss to the
  • Ants caught short as new season arrives
    The reigning D-League chanpion Mad Ants open their season tonight at Memorial Coliseum against Sioux Falls. And they will do so with the same big question they had at this point last season: Is there enough size?
Samuel Hoffman | The Journal Gazette
The Mad Ants’ Brandon Wallace drives on Springfield’s Dennis Horner during the second quarter Friday night at Memorial Coliseum.
Mad Ants 119, Springfield 110

Mitchell takes over in OTs

Ants’ forward shakes off fouls to carry team

– Once Tony Mitchell got off the bench, got out of his in-game slump, got active and got hot, the 6-foot-8 NBA D-League all-star forward put the Mad Ants on the shoulders of his No. 18 jersey and carried them to a 119-110 double-overtime victory over Springfield at Memorial Coliseum on Friday.

Sent to the bench three minutes into the game with three fouls in 48 seconds – and stayed there until halftime – Mitchell had seven points at the end of a 103-all regulation.

Overtime was a result of a Brandon Wallace put-back with 7.8 seconds left, and it was Mitchell who had the initial missed shot.

He would rarely miss again.

His bucket and two free throws with 4 seconds left in the first overtime tied the game at 107.

And then the dam burst. Mitchell drained a three from the right wing, then another more than a minute later, and finally, with 44.4 seconds left, hit another three from up top that even sent the normally poker-faced Mitchell into a celebratory combination of flex and dance.

“Once he hit the first two, you knew the third one was going in,” Ants coach Duane Ticknor said.

By then, the Armor (13-22) had been pierced.

“I was just shootin’,” said Mitchell, who scored 16 points in the six minutes of overtimes to finish with 23. “I was just trying to get my team some scoring. When Ron (Howard) went down, we needed somebody to step up and take some shots.”

Howard did his share of stepping up in the first half. Without Mitchell, Howard scored 22 of his game-high 27 in the first half, when he helped the Ants (17-19) build a 17-point lead.

But Springfield took over, especially in the third quarter when the Mad Ants couldn’t shoot it (10 of 31 from the floor) or hold onto it (five turnovers).

And with the Ants down 101-95 with two minutes remaining in regulation, the outcome didn’t look promising for Fort Wayne or its 4,472 fans that came to watch.

Yet in the game that appeared to be won, then seemingly lost, then finally won, Ticknor reeled off its heroes.

“There were a lot of guys who stepped up,” Ticknor said. “Chris Porter, I thought, was a big difference-maker. He made big shots; took three charges; he does all the little things that help you win games. He also scored 17 points.

“Sadiel (Rojas) didn’t score but had 12 rebounds. Ron got us going in the first half. Then Tony in the overtimes was phenomenal.”

Said Mitchell in the joyous locker room, “I didn’t want to lose.”