KABUL, Afghanistan – Afghan President Hamid Karzai says he will issue a decree banning Afghan security forces from asking international troops to carry out airstrikes under any circumstances.
Saturday’s announcement comes amid anger over a joint Afghan-NATO operation last week that Afghan officials say killed 10 civilians, including women and children, in northeast Kunar province. Civilian deaths have been one of the most divisive issues of the 11-year-old war, although the U.S.-led coalition has implemented measures to mitigate them.
Karzai says U.S. commander Gen. Joseph Dunford told him that Afghan forces requested the airstrike.
5-day manhunt ends; inmate slain
The Florida prisoner who escaped in Texas after stabbing a detective with his eyeglasses was fatally shot early Saturday after refusing to cooperate with officers and lunging at them, police said.
Alberto Morales was shot in a wooded area of Grapevine, a community near the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It put an end to a massive five-day manhunt that started when he escaped Monday from a Walmart parking lot after attacking the Miami-Dade, Fla., detective.
Grapevine police Sgt. Robert Eberling said at a Saturday news conference that officers instructed Morales to lie on the ground and show his hands, but he rushed toward them. Morales, 42, was unarmed at the time of the shooting and was not wearing handcuffs. He was holding some sticks, Eberling said.
Libyans accuse 4 of pushing Christianity
Four foreigners were arrested in Libya on suspicion of distributing books about Christianity and proselytizing, a Libyan police spokesman said on Saturday.
Police spokesman Hussein bin Hamid said the suspects were from South Africa, Egypt and South Korea, and one held both Swedish and U.S. nationality. The Swedish Foreign Ministry confirmed that a dual national Swedish-American citizen was arrested while traveling on a U.S. passport.
Spreading Christianity is a crime in the predominantly Muslim North African country.
Millionaire settles 10 sex lawsuits
Texas millionaire Stanley Marsh 3, along with relatives and an associate, has settled 10 lawsuits filed by 10 unnamed teenagers who claim he paid them for sex acts.
In a prepared statement, plaintiffs’ attorney Anthony Buzbee says the teenagers and Marsh have resolved their differences and that no side will have further comments.
The 75-year-old Marsh also faces 11 criminal charges filed by a special prosecutor. Marsh is known for planting 10 painted Cadillacs nose-down along Interstate 40 as an art exhibit. He suffered a massive stroke in 2011.