Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Swedish golfer treats herself for spider bite
The Associated Press
The Swedish Golf Federation reported on its website that Holmqvist was on the fourth hole at Royal Canberra when she felt a sharp pain on her ankle.
Holmqvist swatted the spider away and felt intense pain. She said people told her it was a black widow spider, so she used a golf tee to pierce the swelling and squeeze out the venom. The tournament said it was more likely a redback spider.
The University of Melbourne says 250 people are treated for redback bites each year. No deaths have been reported since the discovery of an antidote in 1955.