Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:01 pm
10 Things to Know for Thursday
By The Associated Press
1. A WINDOW INTO HOW GIFFORDS IS FARING
She gives powerful testimony before Congress on gun control, despite some speech and other physical problems.
2. ISRAELI WARPLANES STRIKE WITHIN SYRIA
The Syrians say a military research center was hit - but many observers believe the Israelis targeted a shipment of weapons bound for Hezbollah.
3. WHAT SHAPED HAGEL'S MILITARY VIEWS
On the eve of his confirmation hearing, the defense secretary nominee says his experience fighting in Vietnam will inform his decisions.
4. INSIDE THE ALABAMA GUNMAN'S BUNKER
Underground hideaway at the center of a hostage drama outfitted with electricity, TV and foodstuffs.
5. HOW A WEEK OF UNREST HAS WEAKENED EGYPT'S PRESIDENT
Morsi is now facing opposition from liberals and ultra-conservatives alike.
6. WALL STREET GIVES NEW BLACKBERRY A LUKEWARM RECEPTION
Some investors think the smartphone makeover may not be enough to turn the company's fortunes around.
7. FABLED CITY'S PAPERS SAFE
Islamist extremists damaged or stole only a limited number of rare African manuscripts before fleeing Timbuktu, contrary to earlier reports.
8. WHY IT'S NOT CALLED `SEXERCISE'
One activity you thought might be doing you some good and burning extra calories probably isn't.
9. LAST OF THE ANDREWS SISTERS DIES
Patty Andrews outlived LaVerne and Maxene. The trio captured the home-front spirit of World War II with their swing-era hits.
10. BET ON IT: BALTIMORE WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL
The AP's Barry Wilner favors the Ravens because of their tough defense and underappreciated QB, Joe Flacco.