You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Irish Insights

  • New Jersey senior signs to play at Notre Dame
    SOUTH BEND – High school point guard Matt Farrell has signed a letter of intent to play at Notre Dame this fall.
  • Notre Dame: Blue-Gold Game notebook
    Malik Zaire puts on strong performance to fuel Notre Dame's quarterbacks competition and other notes from Saturday's scrimmage.
  • Video: Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith
      Notre Dame linebacker and former Bishop Luers star Jaylon Smith talks about how good the defense can be, stepping into a leadership role as a sophomore and how quickly he bought into the new defensive system under defensive coordinator Brian
Advertisement

Te'o agrees to on-camera interview

Manti Te'o will answer questions about the dead girlfriend hoax again, and this time, the All-American linebacker will do it in an on-camera interview.

The former Notre Dame star and his parents, Brian and Ottilia, will appear on Katie Couric's syndicated daytime talk show Thursday, ABC News announced Sunday. Te'o did an off-camera interview with ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday after Deadspin.com published a story Wednesday that revealed his relationship with a woman was a hoax.

Excerpts from the interview on "Katie" will be broadcast in advance on "Good Morning America" and other ABC News programs, according to the New York Times. Couric is a special correspondent for ABC News and a former host of NBC's "Today Show" and was a news anchor for the CBS evening news.

The Times pointed out a fortunate connection between Couric and Te'o that could have helped her secure the on-camera interview. The spokesman, Matthew Hiltzik, the Te'o family hired is also the longtime spokesman for Couric.

On Friday, Te'o told ESPN he was a victim of the hoax and did not participate in the scheme. The Heisman Trophy runner-up also told ESPN that the alleged mastermind of the hoax, 22-year-old Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, apologized to him Wednesday.

Te'o became suspicious that a woman named Lennay Kekua didn't exist when he received a phone call from someone claiming to be Kekua on Dec. 6. Te'o had been led to believe the woman had died Sept. 12, hours after his grandmother, Annette Santiago, died Sept. 11.

Te'o, who continued to refer to his dead girlfriend in interviews after the Dec. 6 phone call, told Notre Dame about the possible ruse Dec. 26, and the school hired an independent investigator to look into the situation Dec. 29.

On Jan. 4, Notre Dame was told by the investigator that Te'o was the victim of a hoax, and the university informed the family Jan. 5 of the results and left it up to the Te'os on when to go public with the information.

Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown told the South Bend Tribune in a story published Sunday that some school administrators wanted to release what was learned about the hoax after the information was available, but it was decided disclosing the information about the hoax before the BCS championship in Miami would not be in the best interest of the teams or the individuals involved.

University officials told the newspaper the investigators did not examine cellphone records, emails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication with the person claiming to be Kekua, and Te'o was not asked to take a lie detector test.

The Journal Gazette's Assistant Sports Editor Tony Krausz covers The University of Notre Dame. Krausz, a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism and a native of St. Louis, has been assistant sports editor since October 2005. Prior to joining the JG, he worked at two papers in Mississippi covering high school and college athletics.

Advertisement