You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Dog's former owner charged with cruelty
    As Loki, the dog lived a horrible life. Unable to escape his urine-soaked cage, he was starving, caked in feces and barely able to stand when Animal Care & Control found him in late March.
  • Quarrel ends in stabbing, husband arrested
    A woman was hospitalized Tuesday night after police said a quarrel with her husband at their home near Warsaw ended with her suffering several stab wounds.
  • 5 charged in tool thefts at Lowe's
    Five people were charged Tuesday in what investigators say was an ongoing theft ring that targeted local Lowe's stores.
Advertisement

Apartment fire began in kitchen

A kitchen fire caused heavy smoke damage early Sunday at an apartment complex in northeast Fort Wayne, the city fire department said.

Firefighters were sent to 5210 Stonehedge Blvd. about 2:20 a.m. and found smoke coming from a first-floor apartment in a three-story building.

Firefighters extinguished a blaze that started on a stove in the apartment. The fire was under control by 2:50 a.m., the department said.

Eleven neighboring apartments were evacuated, and all the residents escaped without injury.

A ladder was used to bring some residents down from a second-floor balcony, the department said.

aingersoll@jg.net

Advertisement