Here's what Komets general manager David Franke had to say in the midst of a 5-2 loss to the Toledo Walleye, which was Fort Wayne's sixth loss in its last nine games: "I think there are (free-agent) players out there. If this doesn't turn around here shortly, we're going to have to really consider bringing some new guys in or making some trades, doing something to stir it up. Right now, I'm not happy with our effort at all."
About the only good news for the Komets, who gave up a hat trick to Max Campbell, was that the league's worst power-play unit had two goals -- from Garrett Klotz and Josh Brittain.
The Komets were missing a lot of players, including Colin Chaulk and recently called-up Ryan Lasch and Luca Caputi. But coach Al Sims said his team should have embraced the opportunity, not give up 31 of the first 41 shots on goal.
"I don't think (missing players) is a real excuse," Sims said. "For guys like (Stephon Thorne) and Klotz, guys who hadn't played much in the last couple weeks, they got a chance to play. Klotz got a goal, which is great, in the front of the net and on the power play. Those guys have a chance to show now that they belong and can do the job. It's an opportunity for some guys."
- Chaulk is still about two weeks from returning from his foot infection, Franke said, adding it's been determined it's not MRSA. Chaulk missed 35 games in 2008-09 with MRSA.
- Tim Priamo, who was acquired in a trade with Wheeling and then released Wednesday, opted to return to school rather than play, Franke said.
- In the third period, Sims broke up the defensive pairing of Brent Henley and Daniel Maggio. "They were on for all four goals against in the second period," Sims said, "and maybe they need to be split up to give it a different look and get them fired up as well."
- Joe Ernst, the ECHL's vice president of hockey operations, attended the game. I wonder if he caught the third man in by the Walleye in the a third-period fight with Jean-Michel Rizk. No discipline will likely come, though, unless the Komets make a request for a review.
- I forgot to post this earlier today: A story on Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock.
- Click here to see photos from the game, including a cool crowd shot by Michelle Davies.