You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

U.S.

  • Southern California prepares for big storm surf
    Sand bags and surfers populated Southern California beaches Tuesday in anticipation of potentially damaging surf spawned by Hurricane Marie spinning off Mexico’s Pacific coast.
  • Mexican president praises California policies
    Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto praised Gov. Jerry Brown and state lawmakers Tuesday for approving a series of immigrant-friendly laws, saying California is taking a lead role in the absence of national immigration reform.
  • Mother of newborn baby found in trash arrested
    A Utah woman accused of dumping her day-old baby in a neighbor’s trash can told police she was afraid to tell her parents about the pregnancy and hoped the newborn’s death would solve her problems, a probable cause statement
Advertisement

Investigation of missing Morenci boys 'active,' police say

MORENCI, Mich. – The investigation into the case of three Michigan boys missing since Thanksgiving 2010 remains “active” ahead of the second anniversary of their disappearance, police said Tuesday.

Police in Morenci, however, said they still believe the boys are dead and their father disposed of their bodies. John Skelton pleaded no contest last year to charges of unlawful imprisonment, but he maintains he didn’t harm the children.

The boys were last seen at Skelton’s home in Morenci, which is near the Michigan-Ohio border. Skelton didn’t return them to their mother, setting off a search that involved hundreds of volunteers in both states.

Skelton told police he handed the boys over to a group he didn’t identify to protect them from their mother.

“His choice to hide behind this outlandish story is selfish and cowardly,” Morenci Police Chief Larry Weeks said in a statement. “If he cared about his sons at all he would disclose the truth and bring resolution to this case.”

Investigators said they have received about 1,300 tips and continue to seek more, and a $60,000 reward is being offered.

In the statement, police said: “The investigation remains active and at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers.”

Andrew, Alexander and Tanner Skelton were 9, 7, and 5 years old, respectively, when they last were seen.

The boys’ mother, Tanya Zuvers, said recently that she hasn’t given up hope for her sons.

Advertisement