You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Couple gets probation in neglect case
    Marian Clark and Robert Boyko escaped spending time behind bars for keeping their children in squalid and unsafe conditions in a Fort Wayne hotel room.
  • McGauley named Superior Court executive
    John D. McGauley has been named court executive of Allen Superior Court, Chief Judge Wendy Davis announced today.
  • Probation for sex misconduct
    A 29-year-old man who admitted to having sex with a 15-year-old girl at his home was given a suspended prison sentence Wednesday and ordered to serve four years on probation.Casey R.

Woman admits role in fatal crash; murder charges dropped


Facing a dozen charges accusing her of driving drunk and killing two people in May, Corina Hurtado pleaded guilty Monday in Allen Superior Court.

Hurtado, 50, pleaded guilty to two counts of operating a vehicle with a controlled substance causing death. The Class B felony charges were not the most serious she faced.

After her arrest in May in connection with the death of an elderly couple at the intersection of Fairfield Avenue and Taylor Street, Hurtado was charged with myriad driving charges, but also two counts of murder.

In court documents, Allen County prosecutors alleged Hurtado was well aware that there was a "high-probability that death could result from her actions."

On May 8, Hurtado, of the 4100 block of Harris Road, was in the lot of Straley's Auto Sales, 1923 Broadway, and backed her pickup truck into a parked, unoccupied car. But when an employee of the business asked her about insurance, Hurtado told him she had none and took off.

Driving up Taylor Street at a high rate of speed, Hurtado ran a red light at Fairfield Avenue, plowing into a van driven by Harold Bebout, 79. He died at the scene and his wife, Starr Bebout, 74, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and died five days later.

After her arrest, Hurtado's blood-alcohol concentration measured at 0.17 percent, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent, and she had cocaine in her system, according to court documents.

Under the terms of a plea agreement signed by Hurtado, she faces 20 to 40 years in prison. Prosecutors agreed to dismiss the remaining 10 charges against her.

She will be sentenced at a later date.

For more on this story, see Tuesday's print edition of the Journal Gazette or visit after 3 a.m. Tuesday.