You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • 70 years in cruel holdup-beating
    For all intents and purposes, Zach Doan ended the life of his 80-year-old victim when he bloodied her face with his closed fists, robbing her of her eyesight, independence and security.
  • 70-year sentence in attack on 80-year-old
    A Fort Wayne man was sentenced to 70 years in prison Friday for a home invasion in which he attacked an 80-year-old woman, leaving her blind and in hospice care.
  • Man admits guilt in child molesting
    A New Haven man admitted Tuesday to child molesting in exchange for a 10-year cap on his prison sentence. John D.

Woman admits role in fatal crash; murder charges dropped


Facing a dozen charges accusing her of driving drunk and killing two people in May, Corina Hurtado pleaded guilty Monday in Allen Superior Court.

Hurtado, 50, pleaded guilty to two counts of operating a vehicle with a controlled substance causing death. The Class B felony charges were not the most serious she faced.

After her arrest in May in connection with the death of an elderly couple at the intersection of Fairfield Avenue and Taylor Street, Hurtado was charged with myriad driving charges, but also two counts of murder.

In court documents, Allen County prosecutors alleged Hurtado was well aware that there was a "high-probability that death could result from her actions."

On May 8, Hurtado, of the 4100 block of Harris Road, was in the lot of Straley's Auto Sales, 1923 Broadway, and backed her pickup truck into a parked, unoccupied car. But when an employee of the business asked her about insurance, Hurtado told him she had none and took off.

Driving up Taylor Street at a high rate of speed, Hurtado ran a red light at Fairfield Avenue, plowing into a van driven by Harold Bebout, 79. He died at the scene and his wife, Starr Bebout, 74, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and died five days later.

After her arrest, Hurtado's blood-alcohol concentration measured at 0.17 percent, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent, and she had cocaine in her system, according to court documents.

Under the terms of a plea agreement signed by Hurtado, she faces 20 to 40 years in prison. Prosecutors agreed to dismiss the remaining 10 charges against her.

She will be sentenced at a later date.

For more on this story, see Tuesday's print edition of the Journal Gazette or visit after 3 a.m. Tuesday.