You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Video shows mom punching boy, 14
    A Grabill woman faces criminal charges after police said she was recorded on video punching her 14-year-old son in the face and stomach and unleashing a tirade of vulgarities at him.Meagen T.
  • Mother faces felony after bruises on son
    A Fort Wayne mother was charged with a felony after accusations she hit her child hard enough with her hand to leave significant bruising, including fingerprint impressionsLindsay Olson, 28, of the 2700 block of Witchwood Drive, was
  • Woman walking on Werling is robbed
    She was targeted and robbed because she walked alone at night.One man grabbed her, held something against her back and told her to shut up while another man rifled through her pockets and stole her cellphone.
Advertisement

Fatal fire ‘accidental,’ officials say

Foul play has been ruled out in the death of an 81-year-old Angola man who died Monday as the result of a house fire in Angola.

Preliminary results indicate that Herbert P. Sanders died of smoke inhalation, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department.

It said the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office preliminary investigation indicates the fire was “accidental in nature.”

Police officers were first to arrive at the house at 809 Growth Parkway, and they could see heavy flames on the first floor, according to information released earlier by the Angola Fire Department.

After learning that someone was inside, the officers tried to make a rescue, but the heat and smoke thwarted them.

Firefighters were dispatched to the house at 3:12 p.m. and arrived six minutes later. They entered the house and brought Sanders out, according to an earlier story on The Journal Gazette's website.

With help from Fremont fire crews, the Angola Fire Department had the blaze under control by 3:27 p.m. The fire was contained to the living room and kitchen.

Advertisement