INDIANAPOLIS – A spokesman says more than a dozen people have been taken to hospitals after they were sickened by fumes from gas-fueled power-washing equipment while working at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
Fairgrounds spokesman Andy Klotz told The Indianapolis Star that 15 workers were power-washing floors at Exposition Hall about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when two contract workers complained of lightheadedness. Two fairgrounds employees weren’t affected.
The 13 contract employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. Information on their conditions wasn’t immediately available.
Klotz said a lack of ventilation in the building might have caused the problem, and it may have been aggravated by high humidity.
State fair officials told WRTV-TV that the building is being aired out and will be tested for carbon monoxide before it’s reopened.