FORT WAYNE – A 4-month-old and a 1-year-old were rescued Thursday morning from a burning home, dropped from a second-floor window into the arms of neighbors before the adults inside then jumped themselves.
Fort Wayne firefighters were called to 3737 S. Barr St. at 7:07 a.m. When they arrived, they found two adults and the children outside, and saw flames coming out of a window on the first floor.
The four from the home were taken to a local hospital and were in stable condition, the fire department said in a written statement.
It said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction of a power cord on a window air conditioning unit.
The fire was out quickly, but there was heavy smoke damage and moderate fire and water damage to the house.
The adults have been identified as Natalie Church, 23, and Christopher Dunning, 34. The fire department's statement did not identify the children or describe the relationships of the occupants.
For more on this story, pick up Friday's print edition of The Journal Gazette or return to www.journalgazette.net.