We're only two weeks into the Komets' season, but there are already some compelling storylines that have taken hold.
Here are the biggest things I'm keeping an eye on right now:
- Coach Al Sims' tough decisions: Sean O'Connor was just re-signed, while David Hukalo, Kevin Bertram and Brandon Warner will all be coming off injury reserve soon. That means two or three players are going to get waived. The battle to hang on to spots will be interesting.
- Matt Syroczynski's production: He leads the team in goals (four) and points (six). Is there anyone who didn't think bringing him back was a stellar idea?
- Matt Woodard's savvy: Color me impressed with this rookie. He's only got one goal, but I see him being a real playmaker this season on the blue line.
- Lots of fighting: There has been no shortage of fisticuffs this season, even though Mitch Woods never made it to Fort Wayne. Will Brad MacMillan, Blair Stayzer, Keith Rodger and Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock keep it up? (Speaking of fights, did you see this one?)
- Terrific goaltending: Nick Boucher and Tim Haun have combined for a 2.0 goals-against average and .928 save percentage. No slow start here.
- Some slow starts: I wouldn't have imagined that Rick Varone and Evgeny Saidachev would have a total of zero goals and one assist. It early, though.
- No one has distuingished themselves as the class of the IHL yet, but I've heard Flint hasn't looked too great. The Generals are 1-4-0 and have been outscored 17-11.